Re: Red Hat Network Alert

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 03:38:00PM -0800, Christian Thibodeau wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 14:26, Stefan Neufeind wrote:

> > > goes red (and I install the update) long before I get the update
> > > emails.
> >
> > Yes, I thin I experienced the same thing. Do they delay their update-
> > rhn-emails? If yes: Why? If not: Where does this strange thing come
> > from?
> >

> If I am to believe the emails RHN has sent me in the last week or so,
> they have over 1 million registered systems. Sending emails for all
> those systems would take quite a while I would think, and I would expect
> them to give priority to their paying customers.

Well, there are 2 things here.
- The arrival of the email after the update has been performed in
response to the red "!". Sometimes long after. A million emails is
peanuts btw in this context. I also do not believe, especially on
security related issues, which after all, are crucial to Redhat's
reputation, would be prioritised in the way you suggest. That would be
more work than it is worth I would think in any case.
- More intriguingly the arrival of emails concerning updates based on my
profile that either do not apply, or may apply but are not found when
you look, "your system is up to date" or some such message applies.

I took advice here and do an "up2date -p" to check this, but still the
situation occurs.

As a recent example, I received an email concerning lynx, which I use,
that arrived at least 3 days after I had already responded to the
flashing light !

I like the "up2date"/RHN system a lot, but it is not flawless from my
recent experience of it. In particular it appears to have entries for my
profile indicating that I have certain software installed, that not only
do I not have installed, but never have had..and I am not missing the
point that these may be dependencies I have just not noticed...but this
is not always the case.

Having said that the pros for me outweigh the cons, but bug-free it
ain't ;). I think in terms of commercially run Linux systems so to speak
it now outshines it's nearest competitor .. which was certainly *not*
the case a few years ago in the bad old days of "linuxconf", when I
successfully managed to *not* get a usable configuration on 6 different
computers. It seems to have vastly improved (except some fairly standard
packages are totally missing from the distribution..but that is
solveable using time honoured methods).

For the server I am setting up I shall be purchasing support...

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson