Re: Unexpected IGMP network traffic

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 11:24:03PM +0100, Stefan Neufeind wrote:
> Does your box generate the IGMP or are you only receiving the
> packets? You might want to have a look at the count of packets using
> the package "iptraf".
>
> On 25 Feb 2003 at 15:13, Cliff Kent wrote:
>
> > I recently set up a RH 8.0 "home network" server. It's very much like
> > several others that I've done before. Samba for a windows file and
> > print servers. And, because this customer wanted to get a look at
> > Linux, two VNC servers that are accessed by VNC viewers on the windows
> > boxes.
> >
> > The customer is happy. <g>
> >
> > All of this is behind a linksys firewall/router. So, the linux box has
> > no firewall. I did try to shut down all unneeded services.
> >
> > But just for fun, I ran nmap and netwatch on the server. Nmap shows
> > only the expected ports open.
> >
> > However, netwatch shows a lot of IGMP packets. These are returned by
> > what looks like multicast servers on the internet. I shut down the
> > windows boxes, stopped the VNC servers, and stopped samba. But the
> > IGMP chatter continues.
> >
> > Seems like I've seen this traffic from windows. But, never from linux
> > before.
> >
> > Does anybody know what I might have running that's creating all the
> > chatter?

Are you absolutely sure that the packets are coming from your box? Many
cable ISPs use IGMP packets as a sort of "keep-alive, are you there?" to
monitor the status of their network. They are all in the multicast
224.0.x.x block by necessity. I have always dropped these packets on the
floor with my firewall with no affect on my network connection.

jb

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg@shaw.ca