Re: APM problems with IBM A31

On Mon Feb 24 2003 at 13:55, Dusan Djordjevic wrote:

> I have IBM A31 notebook with Red Hat 8. The problem is that it hangs
> when it is supposed to go in suspend mode (when i close the LCD for
> example). I found somewhere on net info that newer Thinkpads have same
> problematic BIOS-es, so i rebuilt kernel with this options on:
>
> -- General Setup --
>          yes   Power Management support
>          yes   Advanced Power Management BIOS support
>          yes   Enable PM at boot time
>          yes   Make CPU idle calls when idle
>          yes   Enable console blanking using APM
>          yes   RTC stores time in GMT
>          yes   Allow interrupts during APM BIOS calls
>
> It is stated that last line (Allow interrupts during APM BIOS calls)
> should fix problem, but it doesn't, it still hangs. Any idea or
> suggestion ?

There is too much ground to cover, and besides it is all documented
aready.  You really need to go looking for some of the laptop
resources for linux.  A quick google search found me these:

	http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html
	https://oldwww.losurs.org/docs/rhlibrary/laptop/
	http://www.linux-laptop.net/
	http://www.tuxmobil.org/

wmmv, but they should have something to say about apm management
settings in laptops.

And if it is an IBM, then they also give good support for linux...
you never know, they may also have some technical/faq pages about
this on their site.

Have fun!

> Eng. Dusan Djordjevic (RHCE)

Cheers