Re: DNS query (was Internet Connection Sharing)

On Saturday 22 February 2003 12:30 pm, John Nall wrote:
> Thanks to some people on here I have managed to navigate the
underbrush
> (and trip over a few roots) and finally have Internet Connection
Sharing
> going on my home LAN.  I can dial in to the ISP with one and then
access
> the Internet from all three.  Which is what I wanted to do.
>
> However...one small query, since one thing is so ugly that it
doesn't seem
> like I should be doing it that way.  And that has to do with the
name
> resolving by the PC's on the network which have to go through the
gateway.

> Once I have dialed in to the ISP with the gateway system and
connected, my
> /etc/sysconfig/network file on that system magically shows two
nameservers
> for name resolving.  They are apparently placed there as part of the
> activation of ppp0.  Well and good.  Linux marches on.
>
> In order to make the other two systems work, however, I have to
manually
> place the same two IP addresses in their /etc/sysconfig/network file
> also.  It works, yes.  But it is ugly, and it is hard to believe
there is
> not a better way to do it.  (Also, if the ISP changes those, which I
don't
> know how stable they are, then I will have to change them also).
>
> Seems like if the gateway computer has the DNS addresses it could
just pass
> it on to its two buddies.

Set up the gateway as a caching nameserver and point your intranet
machines to it.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO-3.html

Don't forget to poke a hole in the firewall for port 53 tcp/udp.

> John
>

> --

- --
Stephen Carville http://www.heronforge.net/~stephen/gnupgkey.txt
The difference between robbery and taxes is simple:   The first is
someone threatening to hurt you if you do not give them your money.
The second is legal.