Re: DNS query (was Internet Connection Sharing)

On Saturday 22 February 2003 12:30, John Nall uttered:
> In order to make the other two systems work, however, I have to manually
> place the same two IP addresses in their /etc/sysconfig/network file
> also.  It works, yes.  But it is ugly, and it is hard to believe there is
> not a better way to do it.  (Also, if the ISP changes those, which I don't
> know how stable they are, then I will have to change them also).
>
> Seems like if the gateway computer has the DNS addresses it could just pass
> it on to its two buddies.

That'll only work if you are using DHCP and specifically pass name servers as
part of the DHCP lease.

A better solution, configure the dialup PC to run a caching only name server,
then point your lan PCs at the dialup PC for a dns server.  Works like a
charm.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net