Re: RH8 - Sendmail Problems

Mark Neidorff writes....

> On 20 Feb 2003, Mystical Dluxe wrote:
>
> > Hi all... Sorry if any of this has been covered.  I tried to search the
> > archives, but didn't see it.
> >
> > I am running RH8 on a 600mhz PIII desktop with tons of disk and RAM.
> > I'd like to be able to receive email directly on that box (e.g.
> > me@thatbox.domain.edu) so I opened up SMTP on the firewall.  The
> > computer, however, is refusing email inbound from other hosts.  If I
> > nmap the computer, I see that port 25 is 'up' by in status closed.

Something I've always been curious about is, why are people
secretive about a publicly registered domain, that they are
asking help about?
ie  me@thatbox.domain.edu

There are things that we can do (ping, dig, traceroute, nmap, host)
to help, without having to ask, if we have that.
Heck, even sending an email to it and reading the mail daemon
would tells us a little, maybe.
I understand the need for security, and I don't know if I
would post my iptable rules and such, but.........

That being said, you have already edited /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
and fixed this line, right?
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')

By default, sendmail will only listen to localhost.

-- Jay Crews
jpc@jaycrews.com