Re: Start menu disappearance

cchausson@noos.fr wrote:

Wanting to modify my Gnome menus, I started editing the applications.menu file. <snip>

When I look in the X logs I see the following message :

/etc/X11/desktop-menus/applications.menu:586: Opening and ending tag mismatch Folder and VFolderInfo
</VFolderInfo>
^
/etc/X11/desktop-menus/applications.menu:586:eror: Premature end of data in tag VFolderInfo
</VFolderInfo>
^
It sure sounds like you've got a problem with tag nesting. I'd look for a pattern like this:

<VFolderInfo>
<Folder>
</VFolderInfo>
</Folder>

Or like this:

<VFolderInfo>
<Folder>
</VFolderInfo>

Now, forgive me for not checking the format of that file before replying; the nesting may be the other way around. But it sure looks like from the errors that there's a problem either with nesting incorrectly (like the first example) or a missing end tag to an element within the VFolderInfo tag. It could also be that the second error message means that a required element is missing from the VFolderInfo tag's elements.

I haven't mucked with that file at all on my system so, if you'd like, contact me off the list and I can send you mine (give me the exact path so I don't send you the KDE one or something by mistake, okay?).

John