RE: Internet Connection Sharing with Linux

Here's more

At the Server
Add the following line to the /etc/sysconfig/network file:

FORWARD_IPV4=yes

Add the following to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:

ipfwadm -F -p deny
ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.0.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

Now start them manually from the command line so you don't have to reboot.

At the client
You have to tell your windows clients to use the Linux server as the
gateway.
Right-click on the Network Neighborhood icon and select "properties".
Select the TCP/IP for your network card.
Select "Properties".
On the IP Address tab select "Specify an IP address:" radio button. Enter
the IP address in the box below. Enter the Subnet Mask. (typically
255.255.255.0)
Select the gateway tab. Enter the IP address of your server in the "New
gateway" box and press Add.
Select the DNS Configuration tab.
Select the Enable DNS radio button.
Enter the computer name in the "Host" box and the Domain name in the
"Domain" box. Enter the DNS server for your ISP in the DNS Server Search
Order box and press Add.
Press OK to exit the TCP/IP Properties window.
Press OK to exit the Network Properties window.
Reboot the client.

There is something I can't seem to grasp, and so far I have not found the
answer.  I'm trying to ween myself away from Windows and migrate to Linux
(for several reasons) but gosh it sure is not easy to do even when one is
determined.  How in the world do you accomplish ICS???

<major snip>

John