Re: Upgrade from 7.3 to 8.0

On Tue Feb 18 2003 at 18:22, Jeff Richards wrote:

> Sorry if this question's a bit general or has been dealt with recently,
> but I'm about to upgrade from 7.3 to 8.0 on a Thinkpad A20p (which
> currently runs perfectly). Anything I should be aware of before doing
> this (like "don't")? I'm thinking of gotchas that I could plan for up
> front, in addition obviously to the normal stuff like taking backups
> etc.
>
> I've done lots of "tweaking" on this box, like kernel re-builds, Ximian
> desktop, Evolution and stuff ...
>
> This is effectively a production box so any scare stories out there
> would be greatly appreciated before I kick it off.

My comment is:  why upgrade when it ain't broke?  (really, why?)

(I have several rh73 server boxes that are doing a very fine job,
I'm _not_ going to upgrade just for the sake of it.  And probably
not for a long time.  Why create a lot of extra work for myself?)

Another point is that rh81 is due for release in a few weeks, it
might be worth the wait.

All that being said, people are using rh80 for serious production
purposes and they don't seem to be hurting (despite its various
quirks).

Meanwhile, it might be worth browsing through bugzilla.redhat.com to
see what problems are being reported for it.

> TIA
>
> Jeff

Cheers
Tony