Re: Upgrade from 7.3 to 8.0

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 16:52, Jeff Richards wrote:
> Sorry if this question's a bit general or has been dealt with recently,
> but I'm about to upgrade from 7.3 to 8.0 on a Thinkpad A20p (which
> currently runs perfectly). Anything I should be aware of before doing
If it ain't broke don't fix it!  Can't say much specifically about the
laptop, but...

> this (like "don't")? I'm thinking of gotchas that I could plan for up
> front, in addition obviously to the normal stuff like taking backups
> etc.

> I've done lots of "tweaking" on this box, like kernel re-builds, Ximian
> desktop, Evolution and stuff ...
Some time ago there was discussion on upgrading a 7.3 ximian system to
8.0.  A friend and I both had 7.3 and the full Ximian desktop.  After
wich we both upgraded (with a bit of misery) I ended up manually adding
and removing rpms - a tedious but possible task - and my friend ended up
doing a fresh install.  Either way has its advantages and disadvantages,
but it is possible once you sort out the teething problems.  I don't
know if ximian has since released something for 8.0, nope, just checked
and they say spring this year.  I guess thats a northern hemisphere
spring, so it should be the next couple of months?

> This is effectively a production box so any scare stories out there
> would be greatly appreciated before I kick it off.
Just back up everything first.  I don't usually, but if its a (semi)
critical system, you should, especially if you have ximian!

HTH,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@nospam.pcorp.com.au>
If it wasn't so warm out today, it would be cooler.