My Current Annoyances

I did a reinstall today of Psyche on my IBM ThinkPad
T23, because I had nothing else to do with the lovely
snow storm outside (I live in Maryland).  After the
install with the default Desktop, and after running
up2date, I went crazy with the extras (compliments of
freshrpms.net): apt, synaptic, the alsa sound driver,
the wlan driver (for my Linksys WPC11), the Java
plugin, the Flash plugin, Xine, and Adobe Acrobat
Reader.  All installed without a hitch.  Here are the
annoyances at the moment.

1. Running xine with the xv video driver will not
work; I have to use xshm.  On my previous install, all
was fine with xshm, but now, the picture isn't
particularly clear (rather jagged, for lack of a
better description).  The difference is the version of
xine (before it was 0.9.13, now it's 0.9.18, I think).
 Any way to get it to work with xv, or to make it look
better with xshm?

2. I can't seem to get the animation to stop when
minimizing windows, even when I goto
Extras->Preferences->Panel.

3. I've had this annoyance ever since I've had Psyche:
on Mozilla, let's say I have two tabs, and one of them
has a number of text boxes for input.  If I input
something in a text box, switch to the other tab to
look at something else, switch back to the page with
the input boxes, and try to press the <Tab> key to
move to the next text box, the page is scrolled down
instead.  This always happens.

4. I thought I installed alsa correctly, but...  If I
run xmms (with the mp3 plugin and the alsa plugin) and
listen to an mp3 while browsing in Mozilla, eventually
the sound gets scratchy, especially if I move the
mouse and dragging something around.  This didn't
happen on my previous install, when I did *not*
install alsa.

5. I am now getting the "FAMOpened failed, FAMErrno=0"
error when running gedit from the terminal.  This
error seems harmless.  I did a quick search through
Google and there was some mention about needing to
install the fam package, but I already have that
installed.  Any other ideas?

These annoyances are minor, but it would be nice to
fix them.  I am very impressed in the ease in
installing Psyche and all the extras.  I remember when
I got a headache trying to install a Linux distro, any
distro, and configuring it afterwards. :)  If anyone
has any ideas on my annoyances, I'd appreciate a
response.

BP

=====
Blaise Pascal