Re: GRUB problems

Justin Zygmont wrote:

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Thomas Dodd wrote:

Justin Zygmont wrote:

It doesn't list the error I am getting.  Now matter what I do it keeps
saying:  /dev/md0 does not have a corresponding BIOS drive
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is /boot on /dev/md0 ?

What raid_level is /dev/md0?
( check /proc/mdstat )

no, it would only be on /dev/hda and hdc in my case. This was for a RAID 1 mirror. Nick's solution will work if you can get a grub command line, if not, just get into single mode and install grub onto both drives the seperately to ensure each one would be bootable in the event of a failure. Also /boot does not actually have to be on a seperate partition. I found out this from hours of trial and error:)

True /boot doesn't need to be a seperate partition, but it's still on a partition (or combination of partitions for RAID)

Since you said it's on hda and hdc, then it's on a RAID device, probably /dev/md0, which is probably mounted as /, the root filesystem.
In any case, the the grub stage1 loader that is stored in the MBR, has to be able to access the filsystem that has the stage2 loader, config file (/etc/grub.conf is a symlink to /boot/grub/grub.conf, as is /boot/grub/menu.lst the file stage2 uses), the kernels, and any initrd*.img files needed. Grub doesn't understand software RAID (md devices), so all of those must be on a RAID 1 mirror(raid_level=1).

Also, grub doesn't use /dev names. it uses the mapping in /boot/grub/device.map so the grub.conf file is OS independent.
In my case, /boot is on md0, but device.map lists (hd0) = /dev/hda, one of the disks in the mirror. The root entry in grub.conf is (hd0,0) which is hda1, one of the 2 disks that make up /dev/md0. Notice, grub doesn't know that (hd0,0) is part of md0.

So somehow, md0 got listed in grub's config file, probably the device.map file.
Check it, and make sure that (hd0) is /dev/hda, and that grub.conf references (hd0,0) or the correct partition number (grub numbers from 0, but /dev numbers partitions for 1). It will just reference one of the partitions in the mirror.

Nick's instructions will get you going, but you need to correct the config files for the future.

This discussing reminded me that I never seup grup to boot the other half of the mirror, so I don't have the redundancy I thought I had. Time to fix that too. I image it'll be tricky, since I have to install stage1 on /dev/hdc and configure it to find hdc1 when booted from hdc. I really hate the PC BIOS. I'd much prefer somthing like the Sparc boot prom. :)

-Thomas