Time Drift / Shift Problem - Please help

ntpd - not running
Timezone is set to: America/New York
Cron Jobs all appear to be harmless, nothing runs less than on a daily
basis.

Charlie

That's weird one.  Some guesses:

Is ntpd running?   "service ntpd status"

You may be syncing to loopback and the hardware clock is screwy.

What time zone do you have set and is your hardware clock set to GMT
or local time?  Check /etc/sysconfig/clock to see.

Do you have any cron jobs the run hwclock or something similar?

On Thursday 13 February 2003 02:46 pm, Charlie McVeigh wrote:
> This is a repost as it appears the the entire body of my first
message was truncated.

> My RH 8.0 Linux machine loses or gains time every 12-20 minutes
while it
> is running.  The time changes that I have experienced range from +/-
13
> hours to as little as +/- 32 seconds (see sample logs below).
>
> I use my Linux machine as a Samba file server for a Windows 2K
laptop
> (provided by my employer) in my home office.  Every time the time
shift
> occurs, I lose all network connectivity to my RH machine. (I have
tested
> and the problem also occurs on other client PC's running different
> OS's).  I must then go to the console on the RH machine and stop and
> start iptables in order for my Win2K machine to see my RH machine
again.

> Here are the Facts:
>
> 1) This problem did not occur on the same hardware when I was
running
> SuSE 6.4
>
> 2) This problem started when I installed RH 7.3
>
> 3) The problem continues under RH 8.0
>
> 4) My hardware is a dual boot RH 8.0 / Windoze 98 (for my wife and
kids)
> HP Vectra VLi8.
>
> 5) The time is very accurate while running Win 98
>
> 6) When I lose connectivity from my Win2K machine  I can not even
ping
> the RH machine.  At the same time, If I go to the console of my RH
> machine I have full network connectivity to my Win2K machine and the
> Internet.
>
> 7) The time drifts occur every 12-20 minutes thus rendering my RH
> machine pretty useless as a file server.
>
> 8) I wrote a script that records the date and then sleeps for 2
> seconds.  Below are several snippets of the output from my script.
In
> the date/time sequences pay attention to the 3rd and 4th entries -
this
> is where the date shift occurs.......
>
> System Boot at Approx  21:25:33
> :
> System runs fine for 15 minutes and time shifts by +20 minutes.
(21:40