Re: grubby kernel prob continued

Jim Christiansen wrote:

Hello,

I have tried to start my box with the new kernel and all I get is a blank black screen. I have checked the /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/ directory and the reference in grub to initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20.img doesn't exist...

I suppose this is why the box halts after grub ... duh

This is new to from lilo... I've googled but no luck on what this line is about.
It's not new to grub, it's just new to you, probably ext3 related.

initrd is an initial filesystem that the kernel uses to get setup when needed.
common uses are when the root filesystem (mount as /) is on a SCSI device, since Red Hat ships all SCSI drivers as modules. Red Hat also ship the ext3fs driver as a module. When they made it the default filesystem, many people started needing an initrd that had not needed on in the past.

The kernel rpms create it for you on install, so you didn't notice.

After you build the kernel, run 'make install' and it should copy the files where they belong, create the initrd, and add an entry to grub.conf. (/sbin/installkernel copies the files and creates symlinks. then it calls /sbin/new-kernel-pkg which does mkinitrd and the grub changes. rpm uses the same script.)

-Thomas