Re: Special Club

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Scott Taylor wrote:

After installing RH8, I could not boot further than

INIT: 2.84 booting...

Someone suggested that I add the following line to the kernel line of
grub.conf:

apm=off_threshold=100

This worked great, however when I try and shutdown it seems to close
most processes but it won't go further than:

POWER DOWN

Not sure about the apm=off_threshold line, but the rest is easy.

It's done, just turn it off. Same as the halted message.

For some reason the kernel cannot turn the power off for you, but it did finish shutting down.
The problem is probably related to the same thing that led to the apm parameter.
A lot of systems have buggy apm code in BIOS that prevents functions from working.

-Thomas