Re: A question about up2date

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Cliff Sarginson wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 04:35:55PM +1000, Tony Nugent wrote:
> > On Thu Feb 13 2003 at 07:12, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> >
> > > When you run up2date there is an option on the install screen to "View
> > > advisory". I have never ever seen this work. I just tried it again and
> > > nothing happened..as always. I presume it is supposed to work.
> > > Any insights ?
> >
> > Did you register your box with the redhat network registation
> > utility?  (rhn_register from the command line).
>
> Yes I did !
>
> > > [ This mail has been checked as virus-free ]
> >
> > Oh, now this makes me feel so much more at ease!  :-)
>
> I could be lying of course ;)
>
> I am new to Redhat..there are a couple of things I don't quite get about
> the RHN. I get advisories that my profile shows I need to update
> something or other, but nothing ever happens consequent on that. I mean
> the little blue-tick stays blue, and running up2date. Produces nothing.
> Now the blue tick turned to a red shriek, and sure enough there was an
> update to Lynx .. but I received no email advisory about it ? Am I
> missing something here ? Or most probably misunderstanding something.
> I only have the demo registration that comes gratis, not because I
> think $60 is not wortwhile if the support is good, but I am evaluating
> Redhat at the moment...I run a small multi-platform network but am
> not very satisifed with my current Linux setup (no names mentioned).
>
> My evaluation is quite positive so-far .. btw.

Good.  For the updates:

1) the little "tick" only checks for available updates based on your
system configuration, it doesn't update.  If you prefer, you can run
updates every night, I prefer not.  To initiate updates, you have to click
on the "tick", and the rest is more or less straight forward.

2) you receive only email advisories if you have chosen so, during the rhn
registration.  You can change it on RHN.

Cheers,

Michael