Re: Tripwire Report Purge

Forgot to copy the ml.

rh_lists@mm-vanecek.com ("Mike Vanecek") writes:
> However, if I run find  /var/lib/tripwire/report -daystart -type f -mtime -90
> -mtime +29 | xargs -r rm from a terminal, no interactive prompt occurs.
>
> I have read the xargs man, but did not see anything about xargs overriding
> global aliases.

Xargs doesn't do anything because it's a shell issue: your shell doesn't
expand rm to 'rm -i' when rm is not a command. It makes sense otherwise if
you try to cat a file called rm, the expanded version of "cat rm" would be
"cat rm -i". (man yourshell to learn more)

> It nice that it does not prompt since it is being run out of crontab. Yet, I
> was surprised not to see a delete prompt when testing.
>
> Is this correct?

Yes it is the expected behavior.
--
Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer              E-Mail : mathieu@newview.com
    It is exactly because a man cannot do a thing that he is a