RH8.0 - nfsd hangs badly + 1TB SCSI partition

Hi everybody !

After we installed a fresh RedHat 8.0 on a 2 processor machine the NFS daemon hangs from time to time - really badly, since I cannot kill it with -9. The problem occurs every couples of days.

I cannot even reboot, because the reboot process will hang trying to kill the NFS daemon. The problem is that after I try to kill nfsd, the exported partitions are not accessible, even locally - every access just hangs. Also, umount will report that the partition is busy. Just to make it clear:
- the nfsd hangs (I cannot access the exported partition from any client)
- the partition is still accessible locally
- try (unsuccessfully) to kill nfsd
- the partition is not accessible anymore

There is no processor activity when it hangs – both processors are idle. Also looks like there is no disk activity.

Now, the partitions are some big (1TB) RAID disks. The RAID system is a separate box, accessible through a SCSI interface. So the computer will see just one big disk. Actually there are two of them, on different LUNs: 0 and 1. It worked fine before the upgrade, but because of a old kernel only LUN0 was accessible.

Here are the details :
processor: two Pentium III (Coppermine) at 800MHz, 256KB cache
memory: 2GB
kernel version: 2.4.18-19.8.0smp (upgraded with up2date)

I think there is no need to say that any suggestions to solve this problem are extremely welcome :-)

Cheers,
iulian