Re: disk partition

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 09:47:51PM -0500, Shane C Branch wrote:
> I did read the manual on this, but I didn't find it particularly useful, except
> for the recommended sizes for /, and /boot. I was already following the swap
> suggestion. When I first started playing with linux I was told that setting
> partitions manually was better than letting the installer do it, but I was
> never clear on exactly why that was supposed to be true.

It really depends on what you're using your system for.  If it's largely
a mail and web server, you may want a very large /var.  If it has lots
of users doing development, a large /home may be in order.  If you've
got a small disk, you'll want to adjust things quite differently than if
you've got a large disk.

I don't like the Red Hat rule of thumb for memory - ie, 2xmemory size.
This kinds of puts you in a bind if you ever upgrade your memory later,
so just go with a GB to start and forget about it.  With disks so big
these days, the rules are changing.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@ewilts.org