Re: disk partition

On 2/6/2003 at 8:40 PM Ed Wilts wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 09:21:22PM -0500, Shane C Branch wrote:
>> Are there any 'rules of thumb' to follow when partitioning a disk for
>linux? In
>> the past, I have always partitioned my disk by defining mount points for
>/,
>> /boot, /opt, /var /usr, /usr/local, /tmp and /home separately. I would
>define
>> swap space at 2x physical RAM. However, I always guessed at the sizes
>for each
>> partition, except for /home, for which I would set the 'grow to fill
>disk'
>> option.
>
>The rules of thumb are (or used to be) in the installation manual...
>Obviously if you take all the defaults for partitioning during install,
>you'll get Red Hat's "rules of thumb".
>
>--
>Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
>mailto:ewilts@ewilts.org
>Member #1, Red Hat Community Ambassador Program

Thanks.

I did read the manual on this, but I didn't find it particularly useful, except
for the recommended sizes for /, and /boot. I was already following the swap
suggestion. When I first started playing with linux I was told that setting
partitions manually was better than letting the installer do it, but I was
never clear on exactly why that was supposed to be true.

regards,

shane.