Re: An interesting problem

Joshua Dolan wrote:
The modem dials up great and connects to the ISP reliably. But when I try to get email or go to websites, sometimes it works and sometimes not!
Has anyone had problems with unreliable dialup connections and how have you solved them?
Funny you mention this, I've noticed an increase in the amount of dropped dialup connections on my system for some time, but the increase isn't so large that I've started pulling my hair out. More like 5-10%, usually within the first few minutes after connecting but also occuring in the time frame thereafter. I've got the same modem too: 56k USR/3Com PCI. After confirming that it wasn't my ISP's fault, I figured some construction or other outside influences were degrading phone service quality around my house. I didn't read about any major changes within the ppp/modem code between 7.3 and 8.0, so I never suspected an upgrade from 7.3 to 8.0 to be the problem.

(Oh, in case you didn't notice, I have no solutions to share either! ;)
Tom