Re: Screen Command

Ross Ferson wrote:
> OK not to be a pain but this is going to be a long compile, so i want
> to get this right :)

Ok :)

> Putty (ssh to box.com) to box and start compile (make install)
> stuff is going all over screen (make installing ), how do i let it
> keep going and detach to pick up later?

While the compile is ongoing, hit ctrl-a+d
The compile continues in the background (check with top or vmstat to be
sure).
Close session.

> after that when i get home to the host box, i open up terminal and
> get: #
> i type screen -rd ?

Yes - that brings you back into the session to where it has now reached.
You can scroll within screen too - ctrl-a+] enables "copy/paste" buffer,
which will allow you to use your arrow/page up/down to browse back in
process history.

I've used screen on some boxes to run setiathome - and it works great :)  I
have the char-gui running, so I can see the progress, and when I resume
screen it's easy to see how far the calculations are going.

> I guess where i am not getting it is using putty do i use the screen
> command BEFORE i start entering the commands?

Putty is your emulator. You use it to get your connection to your box. Once
logged on, and you have your $ prompt, screen is just a command like any
other. Screen only saves what you run within it's environement, so as long
as you remember to start your compile within screen, the rest is rather
logical.

Best Regards
  Peter Larsen