Re: cron as root

Jeffrey Ross writes....

> Works fine when I run it from the command line, only when root's crontab
> kicks it off does that error come up.

You are SURE you have the cron syntax correct and you are
running the correct file?
You DO have the full path of the command in the cron, right?
(I don't mean to ask obvious questions, but just to make
sure.)

Strange.........
Try adding "echo $PATH" (no quotes) as the second line, and let
cron kick it off again.  That should mail the output to root (or where ever
your error messages are getting mailed to.)  See if the PATH is the
same as you get from "echo $PATH" from root's shell.

What is the script doing?
Any anaconda type things?

> Jeffrey Ross writes....
>
>  >>
>  >> well, the script I wrote myself and does not call anaconda-ks.cfg
>  >> anywhere...
>  >>
>  >> #!/bin/sh
>  >>
>  >> # file locations
>  >> MAILDIR="/etc/mail"
>  >> TMPDIR="/tmp"
>  >> HOME="/home"
>  >> [...lots more stuff no anaconda-ks.cfg...]
>

> Then this is calling something, that is finally ending up
> trying to execute "anaconda-ks.cfg".
> And looks like line one.
>
> I suggest putting some "echo" lines in it, and see where it fails.
> ie
>
> echo "I AM HERE...."
>
> and keep moving the line down in the logic.
>
> BTW.....you get the same error when you run it manually too, right?
>

>  >>
>  >>
>  >>  > Jeffrey Ross writes....
>  >>  > >
>  >>  > > I created a crontab for root to run a few scripts and upon
>  >> execution > I
>  >>  > > get the following error:
>  >>  > >
>  >>  > > /bin/sh: line 1: anaconda-ks.cfg: command not found
>  >>  >
>  >>  >Looks like you are trying to run "anaconda-ks.cfg" as a command, and
>  >>  >it's not
>  >>  >there.  Not familiar with the file/command "anaconda-ks.cfg", but by
>  >>  >the extension, I'd guess it's a config file of some sort, and
>  >>  >not a Bourne shell script (/bin/sh).
>  >>  >Just a guess.
>  >>  >
>  >>  >What are the first few lines of real code, in the script that your
>  >> cron >job
>  >>  >is trying to run.  (With the exception of the #! /bin/sh on the first
>  >>  >line,
>  >>  >ignore the other lines beginning with #.)  Just want to see enough
>  >>  >to get to the "anaconda-ks.cfg" part.
>  >>  >
>  >>  >-- Jay Crews
>  >>  >jpc@jaycrews.com
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>  >
>  >>  > I'm betting I'm missing something simple...
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Thanks
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Jeff