Re: Unable to upgrade to Psyche

From: Dave Robbins <drobbins@drobbins.net>

> hmm,
> you mean you re-installed from scratch and reformated the disk and
> still had this problem??

Yes, I did a new install from a cold boot of the boxed RH 8.0 CD

> what did you do, let diskdruid format it for you?

Yes, I let druid do the format, but it was an existing partition from where Psyche had been running.

>> since you have a totally hosed system, format it with a dos disk so
>> linux will see it as a totally alien filesystem and realize
>> everything has to go away.alternatively you can use linux/fdisk to go >> in and blow away the current partitions.

Well, not totally hosed, as I have the bloatwareXP on the system. I was so happy with Psyche, that I was close to losing it, and hadn't booted into XP since October or so when Psyche hit the streets, (and I used 7.2 before that - heck in some fashion, I've used RH since v. 3.x) but now somewhat glad I still had XP to be able to get online and check mail, and orders, and get some amount of help, which didn't solve the problem, but without a functioning partition, I'd have been really hosed.

I've also spent a couple days/nights rebuilding 7.3 to function, but I want 8.0 and Phoebe when it's released. I like cutting edge stuff, just not bleeding edge ;-)

>> Sounds like you need to make the installer realize that "hey, we're >> starting from scratch". Is it possible your using the workstation
>> install option and maybe it see's the correct partitions already
>> there so it doesn't format?

No, I used the "install everything" option; servers and all of the parts and pieces, which is what I'd used before as well, plus had updated it all religiously with RHN and apt-get/synaptic

*How can I "make the installer realize that "hey, we're starting from scratch"".* without a fdisk of the entire system, just hda3-5?

Ken