From: "Bob Parry" <robpar@telus.net>
To: "RH 8.0" <psyche-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 2:46 AM
Subject: Compiling 2.4.20

I also have tried to compile 2.4.20 for my RH 8.0 system.  I tried
to find an rpm version but it failed to install.  I have everything
running with the new kernel accept the Ethernet Card.

I have tried both compiled and module versions to no avail.  I think the
trouble may have to do with the way Grub starts the system.  I am no
expert on this but the entries for 2.4.18-** have an img file.  I have
read the Grub man page and the information on compiling the kernel but
have found nothing on how to produce one of these.

Here is my Grub file.

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hde2
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /bzImage ro root=/dev/hde2
# initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank You

Bob Parry

Justin's advice is well taken. Moreover, whenever you compile your own kernel, the make install at the end should make the img file for you, as well as update the grob.conf file. Here is what the on-line documentation (you consulted those didn't you :-) ) has to say:

"Use make install to copy your new kernel and its associated files to the proper directories.

In addition to installing the kernel files in the /boot directory, this command also executes the /sbin/new-kernel-pkg script that builds a new initrd image and adds new entries to the boot loader configuration file.

If you have a SCSI adapter and you compiled the SCSI driver as a module or if you built your kernel with ext3 support as a module (the default in Red Hat Linux), the initrd image is required.

Even though the initrd image and boot loader modifications are made for you, you should verify that they were done correctly. Refer to the Section called Making an initrd Image and the Section called Configuring the Boot Loader for details."

The online documentation has a great step by step procedure for doing this.

Cheers--
Charles