Re: Psyche-list digest, Vol 1 #947 - 10 msgs

http://www.School-Library.net
Read, Connect, Learn!

>Message: 2
>
>Message: 6
>Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 17:04:26 -0800 (PST)
>From: anthony baldwin <mrbaldwin@school-library.net>
>To: psyche-list@redhat.com
>Subject: sos, sinking quickly, mayday, mayday
>
>I hadn't rebooted my machine since I upgraded to psyche in October, or something, so , just for the heck of it, I gave her the "halt" command and powered her down before leaving this morning.
>Now, we're experiencing technical difficulties.
>Several attempts to boot her up have failed.  She has attempted several times to do a file system check and hung around 50-70% on different attempts.  Further attempts have brought me to a root shell (after I enter root passwd).  I tried to run fsck to no avail.
>File system checks did give a couple of messages, but I failed to record them accurately.  One of them mentioned "fish applet" deleting an unused node, and another mentioned some gtk-dev file doing the same.
>When I run fsck, the machine just hangs and gives no response.
>
>What the heck?
>
>Tony
>
>http://www.School-Library.net
>Read, Connect, Learn!

>Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you@yourchoice.com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag
>

>--__--__--
>
>Message: 7
>From: "John Lowell" <johnlowell@ameritech.net>
>To: <psyche-list@redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: sos, sinking quickly, mayday, mayday
>Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 20:22:23 -0500
>
>Hi Anthony,
>
>You entered "halt" from a command line, didn't do a shut down via the Gnome
>Menu log out screen? I'm wondering if you had programs running that hung if
>you did and if your shut down was unclean. Why else would a file system
>check be triggered at boot up? What's coming to me here is that you're
>looking at a file system check at boot which doesn't happen every time
>unless a problem with the shut down is sensed. I think that's where you have
>to start.
>
>Regards.
>
>John Lowell

I think you're on to something.  I use KDE, though, not gnome, generally.
I did enter halt -h from the terminal.  I seem to have had some difficulties
a few times with runaway processes and junk, so your suggested scenario seems likely.
For instance, Klipper is constandly annoying me, popping up when it has no business doing so and hasn't been called.  And ymessenger comes up at login no matter what I do to the contrary.
S'probably all just UTS bugs, I suppose...
Anyway, she is up and running and I am writing to you now on the little joker.

Tony