Re: Logitech Cordless Elite Duo: issues and useful keysyms

On Sat, 01 Feb 2003, steve_dum@mentorg.com wrote:
> And yes, I didn't say that but I am using it as ps/2.  Interesting
> that the keycodes differ between ps/2 and usb.

Annoying is more like it :)

>>I still want to use the keyboard over USB, so kernel support for
>>keycodes over 255 would be nice...
>>
> I had to hack the usb keyboard code for my previous keyboard.  I
> think the usb keyboard code is still undergoing a migration toward
> maturity.  And now it just tosses any keycodes over 255.

Yeah, I tried to do that.  But the latest 2.4 wouldn't compile, the
latest 2.5 wouldn't boot, and the Redhat 2.4 sources (latest kernel
and source RPMs, kernel-2.4.18-19.8.0) were also not compiling
properly.  I will figure it all out eventually, but it takes a lot of
time to play with the kernel configuration-compile-install-test cycle.

> Logitech seems a bit shy in documenting anything having to do with
> their products.  Outward appearances are that "Linux" is not in
> their vocabulary.  They produce a nice product that works on
> windows.  Their proprietary driver knows how to take care of
> everything.  What more would anyone want.  -- maybe they should
> start counting how many of their products are going to linux
> systems.

Unfortunately, Logitech's keyboards are also the best I've tried in
terms of tactile feedback and layout, so I'm a bit partial to them.
Maybe I should switch to a Happy Hacking keyboard...  I've heard those
are nice, but I'm very used to the standard PC keyboard layout, and I
like having oodles of extra keys (since I try to avoid using
composite/chorded keystrokes as much as possible).

Ted