Nvidia Driver File Corruption

I have a stock RH 8.0 install.  It's running on an old Dell 400Mhz
system that has a generic MX440 Nvidia card installed (card is made by
FORSA).

Only a few weeks ago I did a complete fresh install because I was
experiencing stability problems which I was unable to track down.  After
the install everything appeared stable.  Within a week I added the
NVIDIA 4191 binary drivers.  I used rpmbuild to create both the kernel
and GLX rpm's.

Once again I started experiencing stability problems.  The system would
freeze overnight (usually just after 4.00am).  Running up2date would
result in several bad file descriptor messages.  I would periodically
have the system crash due to a kernel oops.

Checking the system logs showed that there were several errors relating
to the video.  Mainly these were centered around not being able to free
up video pages.

I tried various things but the errors always occurred if I left gnome
running over night.  Sitting at the command line didn't cause any
problems.  Removing the NVIDIA drivers also eliminated the problems but
it was sure slow!

A week ago I installed the older 3123 Nvidia drivers.  I haven't seen
any sign of problems since that.  I've tried all the things that caused
earlier problems...nothing.  The system just keeps running smoothly.  I
also see log messages regularly stating that video pages are being both
allocated and released.

BTW, this system can be booted into Win98.  Using the Nvidia 4119
drivers under Win98 also caused lockups but I had expected such things
from Win98.

Moral of the story...be careful with Nvidia binary drivers particularly
4119.

Gerry