Re: Sendmail config

Brian Johnson wrote:

Maybe I need a simpler explanation:
Computer A is main mail server
Computer B is computer I want to forward from (to Computer A) - mainly system email
Computer C is another computer on the LAN with computer A (behind the firewall)
Computer D is totally unrelated to email scenario, just another node on the internet

Test 1 - C and D can telnet to port 25 of A

Test 2 - B cannot telnet to port 25 of A but can telnet to other open ports

The B to A connection is what I want ...
test 1 shows me that port 25 is open on A for both internal and external computers
test 2 shows me that B can connect to A (so routing is working) but not on port 25
therefore no problem with my ISP letting port 25 traffic in so something must be
set up along the route (through the internet) to block port 25 reuests from B
(requests don't even show up at A when running tcpdump)

Interesting enough, when I run tethereal on B and start a telnet to port 25, I
immediately get what I think are reverse DNS requests from a bellnexxia machine.

I think the Linksys router that is at the computer B site is blocking my nmap
scans - I tried putting B in the routers DMZ but no luck

How about giving us the IP's for the Linksys router and computer B. (B should probably be 192.168.1.XXX, if you are using the defaults on the linksys).
When you put B on the DMZ, did you do the nmap scan to the Linksys's WAN ip, or to the actual ip of B?

eg. the WAN IP of the Linksys is 63.63.63.63, and computer B has a private IP of 192.168.1.105 . After you put B on the DMZ, did you use 63.63.63.63, or 192.168.1.105 ? I am assuming A is not on the same network as B. Is this true? What's in your /etc/mail/access file?

Have you thought about switching to postfix?