Re: redhat 8.0 swap space problem

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 10:17, Jacques de Villiers wrote:
> Has anyone experienced this:
>
> I'm running redhat 8.0 on my desktop at the office. The machine is a Compaq SFF Pentium 2 with 196 Meg RAM and a 6 GIG disk.
>
> Eversince I installed the OS I have had to reboot +/- every 7 days seeing that machine runs out of swap, with the HDD then going ballistic and the machine slowing down to a crawl. Originally the machine had only 128M RAM and I thought that THAT might be the problem, I then added another 64M and increased the swapfile from 256M to 512M. This have made no difference whatsoever.
>
> A UNIX guru over here suggested I might have some kind of "memory leak."
>
> I really don't know where to start looking for the problem.
>
> PLEEAASSEE help!

Let your system run until you see your swap space nearly full. At that
point, open a terminal window and run "ps -agvwx --sort=vsize". That
will list all processes sorted by virtual size, with larger processes at
the end so you can tell which process(es) is(are) eating up your memory.
Then you will have a lead as to where to continue checking.

I had a similar experience here at work in a development server, which
took about 2 days to fill up swap. I used the described method to find
out who was the culprit and setup a cron job every four hours to restart
the process so as to clean up the mess. The funny thing is that the same
process in a production server shows no problem at all.

Cheers,
--
Javier Gostling                        Av. Kennedy 5757, of. 1502
Ingeniero de Sistemas                  Las Condes, Santiago, Chile