Re: NVidia GLX segfaults X server

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 01:10:54PM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 January 2003 12:56, Robin Atwood wrote:
> > I have just installed Psyche 8.0.92 and tried to install the latest NVidia
> > drivers. I compiled the kernel module and this works fine. However, the
> > server segfaults at the 'load "glx"' statement. Removing it allows the X
> > server to initialise correctly. I did not have this trouble with RH 7.3 so
> > is there some problem with the binary library modules related to the
> > compiler used maybe?
>
> There is no psyche 8.0.92.  8.0.92 is Phoebe.  Nvidia will most likely not
> work with phoebe because of changes to XFree86.  Phoebe has something of a
> CVS X snapshot.  Nvidia does not compile their drivers against this, and thus
> it will not work.

It is not a problem with the Xserver. I write this running the lastest
redhat X-server (actually I saw there is yet another new one on the rawhide
tree :-(
Instead the problem most probably is in the kernel version used by phoebe2.
I went back to kernel 2.4.19-0.something to get the nvida driver to
work.

-Marcel
--
     ======--------         Marcel J.E. Mol                MESA Consulting B.V.