Recompiling OpenLDAP for use with Netmeeting

Hello, all.
I am attempting to use OpenLDAP as a netmeeting directory as described in the Netmeeting HOWTO.
The HOWTO instructs me to compile OpenLDAP with the --enable-shell option.

Is there any way of knowing whether the stock OpenLDAP binary RPMs that ship with Psyche have shell enabled?
If not, and I recompile OpenLDAP from SRPMS, will stuff like:
/sbin/service slapd start|stop still work?

I've never messed with SRPMS before, if anyone can point me in the direction of some docs or whatever, I will be forever in your debt.

Thanks.
Adam