Re: Compaq Evo W8000 & Compaq OEM Windows XP

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 08:51, Pover, J.P. wrote:
> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> I have recently received a brandnew Compaq Evo W8000 workstation accompanied
> by a Compaq OEM Windows XP disk. The objective was to install XP on the
> first two Maxtor SCSI disks (sda/sdb) and after that install Red Hat Linux
> 8.0 on the next two empty Maxtors (sdc/sdd). This was based on prior
> experience with Windows 2000 and Red Hat 8.0 (first install Windows and add
> Linux to that afterwards). Windows XP has been installed with NTFS (there
> was no other choice with Compaq OEM Windows XP btw), it now seems that even
> those disks that are empty have a difficulty : the system hangs during
> installation when the Adaptec aic7899 scsi driver is loaded. When reverting
> to Red Hat 7.3 the empty disks cannot be initialised either automatically or
> with disk druid. The installer says it needs to intialise the disk but warns
> that this would destroy all the data on it. When given the OK for the empty
> sdc and sdd it fails in initializing.
>
> Of course I realise that NTFS has its problems with support under Linux, but
> I can live with having disks split two ways (2 for Linux and 2 for XP). As
> long as installing either OS is not hindered, that is.
>
> Anybody have a clue how to proceed with the installed XP ?
> Anybody succeeded where I have failed (so far) ?
>
> Regards
> John Pover

My desktop at work is a W8000, and it came with the XP restore CD you
mention. I did at one time have both XP and Red Hat 8.0 on the machine
(but the machine only had one scsi disk at the time). Currently it only
has Red Hat 8.0 on it. I find it to be an awesome system.

Chris Kloiber, RHCE                                  Red Hat,Inc.
                                  aka                1801 Varsity Dr.
Enterprise Support             "WireHead"            Raleigh, NC 27606