Re: Using neat to configure wireless card

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Jedidiah Thomet wrote:

> Hi, all,
> I've got a small problem that I can't seem to figure out.  I've got an
> Orinoco wireless NIC that I'm trying to use to connect to my company's
> network on my RedHat 8 laptop.  Our corporate network uses 128-bit
> encryption, so I must specify the SSID and Keys 3 and 4 to be allowed on
> the coporate network.  I can't seem to figure out the correct syntax in
> the "Wireless Device Configuration" menu (on the wireless settings tab)
> to specify multiple keys, let alone give each of them subscripts.  Can
> anybody point me in the right direction?  I've tried several methods and
> cannot seem to get any configuration to work.  (I do know that the card
> is configured properly, because if I remove the SSID and blank out the
> Keys line, I can get a connection to our DMZ.  [We allow any card that
> is not authorized on the coporate network to get an IP address that lies
> on our DMZ so that visitors can still access the internet.])  Again, any
> suggestions would be appreciated!

A couple of points:

We use 128-bit encryption and all that is required is to enter the
complete 26-digit hex value in the single key field in neat.

It doesn't look like neat supports multiple keys directly.  It seems
reasonable that it should, so you might want to file a request for
enhancement on Bugzilla.

neat is a front end to edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth?.
That file in turn feeds the script
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-wireless.  *That* script generates
commands for /sbin/iwconfig.  It *might* (I haven't tried) be possible to
include multiple keys in the ifcfg-eth? file by hand-editing.  The syntax
would be described in the man page for iwconfig.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs@clemson.edu