Re: What starts gdm?

gdm is started by init
See in /etc/inittab, there is a line id:5:/etc/X11/prefdm os something like that (last line, normally)
That's it that start gdm (or kdm or xdm).
If it doesn't start, try a
init 3 (going to runlevel 3)
end then just after
init 5 (going to runlevel 5)
This should bring X display up.

If X don't come, try Xconfigurator (or redhat-config-xfree in RH8)

Hope it hepls.
-jec

Steve Robb wrote:

I'm working on a new RH8.0 install on a Compaq/HP blade server where I'm doing the actual installation from a Rapid Deployment Server platform. The installation finishes without any problems except that the graphical environment (gdm) is not started.

I compared this to a different, more typical installation (standalone Compaq Proliant, RH8.0) and in this case gdm is started (ps -ef shows '/usr/bin/gdm-binary -nodaemon' running as root). If I start this from the blade server console manually, then everything is just the way you would expect.

I've looked through all the rc scripts and couldn't find one that started up gdm-binary.

What am I missing here? Anyone have an idea?

Steve