RE: Support Changes

The problem with lots of version releases is the roll-out time for some
businesses and the bug fixes.

I personally like the idea that 8.0 can be upgraded to 8.1 in an up2date
session.  Then RH only needs to support the last two dot versions (for
those who don't want to update until the bugs are tested) and then
support the last revision of the last dot version of the previous
release would be extended.

This sounds terrible so I'll try to clarify my statement above.

Red Hat releases 7.0, 7.1 ... 7.5 each three months apart from each
other.  They continue this trend with 8.0, 8.1 etc.  Now they support
7.0 and continue to fix it through 7.2. Now when They produce 7.3, they
cease support for 7.0, but the user can choose to upgrade it to 7.2 or
7.3 by the up2date program. OR they can elect to continue using the
version they are comfortable with.  When 8.0 is released, Red Hat is
supporting 7.8 and 7.9.  However when 8.1 is released, users will have
to move to 7.9 (Representing the only supported 7.x version) to continue
being supported, but Red Hat is can support 7.9 for a longer period of
time allowing a user to skip using 8.x and upgrade directly to 9.0 if
they so choose.  This leaves Red Hat supporting a total of three dot
versions and gives the consumer a chance to upgrade or update according
to their own desire or pace.  If I have my office running on 7.x when
8.0 is released, I can concentrate on making money for my business
without having to worry about my software being compatible with the
newest version.  When 9.0 is released, 7.9 will lose support from Red
Hat, and if I am still using it, then it means it is working for me and
I can decide if I want a newer version or not at my leisure.

I have a past customer that has two offices in this town.  Their older
office is still running DOS 3.1 and Word Perfect 5.1 on a Novell
Network. They refuse to consider upgrading the system because it is
reliable and it is doing the work for which they get paid.  Their other
office is on a windows network.  That office needs to stay on top of
technology so it is often upgrading the software and computers.  It is
funny to see the contrast of the two operations of that one business.

Well, now that I am lost in the wilderness somewhere, I will close.

Buck