Re: Unexpected graphics restart

Scott Chaney said:
> I am having this strange problem under RH 8.0 and I am totally stumped
> as to the cause.  Every once an awhile( 1 to 2 times a day) I will have
> my session crash and go back to the RH login screen.  I don't think
> there is any application or action that I am doing that causes it to
> happen.  It just happens randomly. Here is my system specs:

Yeah, X has bugs. ;-)

I was experiencing something similar in RH 7.3, or rather the version of
XFree86 that shipped with that distro. There was what amounted to a null
pointer reference somewhere in the bowels of the X code. I worked with one
of the XFree guys on patching it up. On the plus side, I learned a lot
about rebuilding and patching X from scratch (shudder).

I've heard isolated reports of X crashes in our labs with 8.0, but I
haven't been able to reproduce them as consistently as I had before. If
you can reproduce the problem consistently and don't mind some GDB tracing
to find the error, the XFree developers were pretty speedy in getting me a
patch.

--Chris