Re: clock falling behind 2-3 minutes every hour!

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 10:44:24PM -0500, Jim Hubbard wrote:
> ntpd does a sanity check before it adjusts time on your system.  If your current system time is too far off, then ntpd won't do anything, even though it might appear to load at bootup.  Type "ntpq", then "pe" to see which servers your system is trying to sync to.  I prefer to have 2 or 3, but be sure you have at least 1 valid ntp server in your ntp.conf such as:
>
> server     tick.usno.navy.mil    prefer
>
> Obviously, you gotta be connected for ntp to work.  Are you sure the laptop isn't going into standby or something?  Maybe try resetting your system time to something close and then be sure the bios clock is set to the same thing using the "hwclock --systohc" command, then restart ntpd.  Possibly the system is loosing enough time while shut down that it fails the ntp sanity check on startup.  Just some ideas.

Note that (at least on my system) the bios clock is set to system time during the
shutdown process. To minimize the time change I removed this part from the shutdonw
process and changed the system startup procedures to set the clock with ntpdate syncing
to my time server and then setting the bios clock with hwclock.
This more or less minimizes the clock drift while I still have the battery applet running!

-Marcel
--
     ======--------         Marcel J.E. Mol                MESA Consulting B.V.
    =======---------        ph. +31-(0)6-54724868          P.O. Box 112