RE: clock falling behind 2-3 minutes every hour!

ntpd does a sanity check before it adjusts time on your system.  If your current system time is too far off, then ntpd won't do anything, even though it might appear to load at bootup.  Type "ntpq", then "pe" to see which servers your system is trying to sync to.  I prefer to have 2 or 3, but be sure you have at least 1 valid ntp server in your ntp.conf such as:

server     tick.usno.navy.mil    prefer

Obviously, you gotta be connected for ntp to work.  Are you sure the laptop isn't going into standby or something?  Maybe try resetting your system time to something close and then be sure the bios clock is set to the same thing using the "hwclock --systohc" command, then restart ntpd.  Possibly the system is loosing enough time while shut down that it fails the ntp sanity check on startup.  Just some ideas.

Sincerely,
Jim Hubbard

              .--.
             |o_o |