Re: Quota problems

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 04:06:52 -0000
"Banjo Donila" <ner0zero@mydestiny.net> wrote:

> glarm <glarm@sucia.interisland.org> said:
>
> > Hello,
> > I am trying to set up quota on RedHat 8.0 for my account then
> > replicate it to the other 1500 accounts. Hwo do I go about doing
> > this? I have added the following...
> >
> > LABEL=/                 /                       ext3
> > defaults,usrquota
> >       1 1
> >

> > to my fstab.
> > restarted.
> > what else do I have to do?
> > I have tried quotaon and quotacheck. with just errors...
> >
> > Thanks?
>

> why would you want a quota on your root??? quotas are often used
> to /home /var at this point if you place a quota on your root
> everything from the top of the heirarchy until below will have limit
> on the use of space. I suggest you re-partition your harddisk. I
> prefer you have a seperate partition for the /home if you are into
> giving out shells. It always depends on what the purpose of the box
> would be regarding to partitions. If it for webspace a decent size of
> /var would do.
>
> Have fun! hope this reaction would teach you few tips :)

Let's assume you've added an add'l drive and it's mounted on /home.
Why not use group quotas instead of usrquota for your 1500 users and
add them to the group.  edit your /etc/fstab with grpquota instead of
usrquota, then it's 3 easy steps:

mount -o remount,ro /home  ###you have to unmount the partition,
quotacheck -c /home        ###creates auto.grpquota on the /home
partition
mount -o remount,rw /home  ### remount the partition

now you can use edquota -g 'groupname' to set up the controls.

Kevin B