RE: MySQL IDE and Language (long)

JD,

Thanks for the answers.

Am I new to Linux?  No, not any more.  I am past learning how to boot
the computer and before I leave tonight I will have learned how to shut
it down.

;)
Actually, I am still trying to learn the most basic of the basics still.
I have my little notebook and I am learning something, doing it, writing
it down and re-doing it so I can learn to do it more than once.

I have learned that in the computer world, life is much easier if one
follows the path of the more supported, popular products in which one
can get help.  That's why I bombed out on learning C.  I would try a
segment of code, need help and it took over two weeks to learn how to
send a "hello world" to the printer.  Back then, that was a generic
dot=matrix printer.

Cable modem and email lists have radically reduced the time it takes to
get support, not to mention the number of products available.

I don't want to spend a lot of time looking for something to use, and I
don't want to spend a lot of time spinning my wheels when I get
something either.  So for those reasons, I ask questions.  I want to
find something powerful enough to use for whatever I do and popular
enough for me to have little or no trouble finding support when I need
it.

I have a bunch of little projects in mind but I also have one very major
project ahead of me.  It will involve a multi-user database that can
handle dozens of simultaneous users and over a million records in one
table not counting the related tables.

As for the extra products, you think like me, get rid of them!  I always
wanted to do that with m$, but it becomes disastrous to try!

Thanks for the input.  I will take it to heart.  I am asking now even
though I am not ready to start using the programs because I have time to
sort through the answers and make my choice when I am ready to do
something.

As for installing the programs... I haven't learned how yet.

Thanks again

Buck