Re: MySQL IDE and Language (long)

Buck wrote:

What do you think of version 3 open source version?

1. Size is too big. The tar file of K2 OE is less than 40MB, compiled for +/- 101MB; K3 OE is +/- 90MB, compiled for +/- 180MB.
2. I don't need C++. Or if I need one, then gcc is far a much much better tool, either for learning the language or for its power. Samples, templates, proven codes of working programs, these are all available for gcc.
3. I just do coding for my personal things, for organizing my own libraries for music, mp3, ebooks, and the like. That is the most complicated programs that I have ever made for myself...:) But after all..., I don't think I have a complicated life to be organized by a software...:) [lol]
4. So, for that simple, direct and personal purpose; K2 OE is already more than a blessing for me.

Anyway, are you new to Linux? Then my advice is: don't get lost, trapped or get busy more in choosing the things rather than really start to use it.

Linux is really a colorful world of choices. The choices in OpenSource is much bigger than the biggest American supermarket. In this sense, we really have to know what we need and choose one of the tools and just stick to it. Being realistic is kind of important.

Like the choices of editors that Linux/OpenSource has, we have gedit, kedit, kate, vi, emacs, tons of flavours for emacs, tons of flavours for vi..., but how many do we need? Just one, isn't it? So, I stick only to kate and vi for the konsole. I don't say that emacs is bad or less interesting; but I don't need it. So, I just get rid of those that I don't need. And I just don't bother to know that as well. Maybe next time if I have time.

Then for multimedia. We have gqmpeg, xmms, grip, sox and still tons of other softwares. Too much to choose, so I just use mpg321 and xmms.

Then the browsers, mozilla, opera, lynx, konqueror, galeon..., how many do we need? I stick to mozilla [because the code can be played around] and lynx for the terminal.

Scripting language is the same. I just stick to ruby and shell, but out there there are still phyton, perl, bash, even basic is also supported in Linux!, not to mention javascript, java. Too many choices are bad for our health..., so I just stick to one and, not ignore, but uninstall that I don't need.

So, if you're completely new to Linux, do enjoy your current experience in this jungle of choices like Alice...:) But, move fast and just stick to one that you think can best serve your need. I think it's good to have 1 software with a UI and 1 without UI for konsole use. Then spend minimum a six-months period to really just use these tools that you have chosen. Join its mailing list and really learn to use it to your benefit. That way OpenSource will serve your computing need better.

JD

Buck