From: psyche-list-admin@redhat.com [mailto:psyche-list-admin@redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Gordon Messmer
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2003 8:17 PM
To: psyche-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: MySQL IDE and Language (long)

On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 15:59, Buck wrote:

> I was leaning towards the xBase languages since I am so familiar with
> the code. I have decided, instead, to use MySQL for a database engine.
> It appears to be big enough to handle anything I can create and it is
> apparently the most popular database in Linux.  According to
MySQL.com,
> MySQL is compatible with Oracle in speed.

Popular it is, but Oracle it is not.  MySQL is fine for very small
things, but I recommend PostgreSQL instead.  In large part, I recommend
that because PostgreSQL has a much more complete set of the SQL 92 spec
than MySQL.  Reflecting that, MySQL's documentation often uses non-ANSI
standard constructs, even when MySQL supports the ANSI standard method.
This leads to a lot of SQL code that doesn't port easily to other SQL
servers.

You might want to lay hands on O'Reily's "SQL in a Nutshell".  It's
pretty inexpensive, and it documents the ANSI standard, and several SQL
servers implementations/deviations.

As for speed:  MySQL is fast for very small things.  It's query compiler
isn't as good as Oracle's or PostgreSQL's, so you tend to find that
people doing complex projects get much better performance from
PostgreSQL.

> I thought PHP and Perl were html languages, but I guess they are a lot
> more than that.  I believe someone has also suggested Java.  I'll have
> to decide on a language.
> I believe my decision will hinge on a balance of these things:
> A	Popularity
> B	Support
> C	Power
> D	Flexibility
> E	Development speed and ease
> F	Ease of learning
> G	Execution speed
> H	Ease of Debugging

Java is probably going to come out on top.  It's a clear winner on
several criteria.  For DB programming, you'll want JDBC.   There are a
number of IDE's available, including NetBeans from Sun, and the newer
Eclipse from IBM.