Re: Messenger Poppups

Buck writes....

> It is obvious from the replies that I am getting that the Linux crowd is
> not familiar with the problem.  This isn't a put-down, just the bliss of
> not having to experience the problem.

That's probably because this is a RedHat Linux mailing list.
We know what M$ is.  Some on this list even have M$ installed
somewhere.  I Have WinDoz95 on a partition, but have not booted it
in a few years.  Although I'll confess, I used my roomies WinXP to
edit my resume a while back.

Here's the thing.
The popups are a warning.
A warning that you should NOT have your machine exposed to
the world like that.  WinDoz machines are useless (compared to unix
machines) as far as breaking in and doing damage to other systems.  But
if you have ANYTHING of value on you machine, you should NOT leave it
exposed like that.
Apearantly you do not have a router.  That would be the simplist
way to solve your problem.  They are cheap.  About $40 for what you need.
Or as has been discussed on this list many times, why not get a second
NIC and let your Linux box do the firewalling for you?

-- Jay Crews
jpc@jaycrews.com