Re: Router/Shut Down Question

On Thursday 23 January 2003 17:23, John Lowell wrote:
> I have a three machine LAN here connected by a Linksys 4 port
> router/switch. The principal computer on this network has three hard
> drives, the first of which multi-boots three Microsoft OSs and the
> second and third drives contain SuSE and Red Hat Linux respectively.
> When I shut down the machine from any of the Microsoft OSs, the machine
> turns off and the LEDS on the router corresponding to this computer stay
> on. When shutting down from either Linux hard drive, the machine turns
> off and so do the LEDS on the router. What in heaven's name might
> account for this difference?

Probably a differen't call to ACPI. Seems that MS doesn't cut the power to the
PCI bus, so that the NICS stay on and live.  (handy for wake on lan).  Seems
that the Linux OSs cut all power, thus the NICS aren't on anymore.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
For Web Services and Linux Consulting, Visit --> j2Solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: