Re: Service sgi_fam meaning?

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 05:20, Mike Vanecek wrote:
> I keep seeing this from logcheck. I have read the doco on fam, but it is not
> very clear to me.
>
>    Service sgi_fam:
>       <no address>: 5 Time(s)
>
> Can someone please explain what the above means and how this service can be
> configured to give useful information?

I am unfamiliar with logcheck, however I assume it means that there were
five connections to the sgi_fam service.  Presumably the system was
unable to determine the client's address.

FAM is the file alteration monitor.  It is used by file managers such as
Nautilus and Konqueror to always show an up-to-date view of the file
system.  You can read more about it here:
<http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/>

On Red Hat Linux systems, famd is configured in xinetd to bind to the
loopback interface, meaning clients can only connect to famd using
sockets (or local TCP/IP clients on 127.0.0.1), so connections from
remote hosts will not be accepted.  Any configuration changes you might
make related to this message would probably be made to xinetd rather
than famd itself.  See </etc/xinetd.d/sgi_fam> for more information.

If you could post the information in your syslog related to fam, I might
be able to help figure it out.  </var/log/messages> is probably a good
place to look first.

Hope this helps

--
Michael Wardle <michael.wardle@adacel.com>