RE: Contacting an Open Relay server user by spammer

On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 09:14, MontyS@videopost.com wrote:

> I am attempting to setup a sendmail server that will receive (and
> relay) emails from users.  These users do not reside on the same
> network as my server.  In fact, I have no way of knowing what domains
> the various users will be on.

Use SMTP AUTH.  With auth, you grant explicit relay privileges only to
the local network (or nowhere at all), and remote users only get the
privilege if they authenticate themselves.

Edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and look for the comments related to AUTH.
They'll guide you in the right direction.  Basically you just have to
uncomment the AUTH options.

The directions for rebuilding sendmail.cf are at the beginning of the
file.

> If not to add insult to injury, as I understand it if I am to allow my
> users to log in to send/retrieve messages from anywhere, I must have
> the FEATURE (promiscuous_relay) enabled.

That's not correct.  When authenticating, no such option is needed.