Linux Software Pointers

Hi guys,

I'm still trying to push Linux acceptance in my office, and have been able to sell my boss on the idea of a free messaging server running inside the copmany VPN.

This server is for use by the IT team when we are working from home, or even in different parts of the office.

I'm thinking of getting them to install a RH8 desktop, that acts as this messaging server so I can expose them to the desktop merits of Linux (evolution, mozilla, openoffice e.t.c.).

So my question is what are some good free (beer and/or speach) messaging servers that I can setup on this linux box?

I was thinking to use the irc protocol, because it enables easy group conference, but I've been hearing things about jabba (spelling?) and other open messaging protocols. The server product would have reasonably mature and stable (though most mature linux server software tends to be much more stable than the windows equivalent in my experience).

Any pointer or URLs would be appreciated.

John