RE: Anti-spam

I use blacklists on my sendmail 8.12 server.
I use 19 blacklists.
I reject all mail from dialup and dsl addresses, open relays, and habitual
spammers.

I block around 500-700  spam a day.
And get around 500-1500 email messages going through the system per day.

I get around 1 false positive every 2 weeks.
The best part is I don't have to do anything, to keep it working...

On the reject messege I refer people to a webpage that gives them an address
they can use to bypass the spam filters, or contact me.
If you have an entry like this in your /etc/mail/access file, any mail sent
to username+WHATEVEREXTENSIONYOUPICK@yourdomain.com

Bypasses any spam checking, and is delivered to username@yourdomain.com

Sample access entry:
#acecepts mail for any usernme+WHATEVEREXTENSIONYOUPIC@yourdomain.com and
routes to username@yourdomain.com without doing spam checking.
Spam:me+--@  FRIEND
#reject his domain
optinamerica.net REJECT
# old user reject all mail for
joebob@	ERROR:550 Mailbox disabled for this recipient
#no spam checking is done for this person
Spam:iwantspam 	FRIEND
#all mail for postmaster is accepted
Spam:postmaster	FRIEND
------------------
I would recommend upgrading from 8.11 to 8.12 if you are using dnbl lists.
As it allows timeout on dnsbl lookouts, without rejecting the email.

I configured these options to block spam:

define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `noexpn noreceipts authwarnings noetrn')
dnl some mail servers don't give expn or helo dnl
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `needmailhelo needexpnhelo noexpn needvrfyhelo
noreceipts authwarnings n
oetrn noverb')
dnl 1.6 meg limit on message size
define(`confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE',1600000)dnl
dnl timeout on the initial outgoing connect
define(`TimoutIconnect=30s')dnl
define(`confLOG_LEVEL',`14')dnl
dnl I can do a dns lookup on hte mailer, EVERY MAILER should be be able to
do this.
define(`_IP_LOOKUP_',1)dnl
dnl mailers that don't have a reverse lookup host-ip won't pass this.
define(`_DNSVALID_',1)dnl
dnl here is the default header in sendmail:$j Sendmail $v/$Z; $b
dnl I change it to remove version information.
define(`confSMTP_LOGIN_MSG',$j Sendmail; $b)dnl
dnl this will wait 2 minutes for a command from the other mailer.
dnl this will timeout on mailers that are parasiting on my mailer.
dnl this has never caused problems on mail delivery, it just removes
troublesome
dnl mailers (spammers that won't resolve ip or similar.)
define(`confTO_COMMAND',120s)dnl
dnl timeout on the initial outgoing connect
define(`ConnectionCacheTimeout=30')dnl

FEATURE(enhdnsbl,`bl.spamcop.net',`',`t',`Spam blocked see:
http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml?$&{client_addr}Contact postmaster@cs.montana.edu
with problems. Read http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/spam.htm for help')dnl
FEATURE(enhdnsbl,`relays.osirusoft.com',`',`t',`Spam blocked see:
http://relays.osirusoft.com Contact postmaster@cs.montana.edu with problems.
Read http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/spam.htm for help')dnl
FEATURE(enhdnsbl, `relays.ordb.org',`',`t',`Spam blocked - see
http://ordb.org/ Contact postmaster@cs.montana.edu with problems. Read
http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/spam.htm for help')dnl
FEATURE(enhdnsbl,`relays.visi.com',`', `t',`Spam blocked see:
http://relays.visi.com Contact postmaster@cs.montana.edu with problems. Read
http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/spam.htm for help')dnl
FEATURE(enhdnsbl,`blackholes.mail-abuse.org', `t',`Spam blocked see:
http://www.mail-abuse.org/rbl/ Contact postmaster@cs.montana.edu with
problems. Read http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/spam.htm for help')dnl
FEATURE(enhdnsbl, `relays.mail-abuse.org', `t',`Spam blocked see:
http://www.mail-abuse.org/rss/ Contact postmaster@cs.montana.edu with
problems. Read http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/spam.htm for help')dnl
FEATURE(enhdnsbl,`dialups.mail-abuse.org', `t',`Spam blocked see:
http://www.mail-abuse.org/dul/ Contact postmaster@cs.montana.edu with
problems. Read http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/spam.htm for help')dnl
FEATURE(enhdnsbl,`rbl-plus.mail-abuse.org', `t',`Spam blocked see:
http://www.mail-abuse.org/ Contact postmaster@cs.montana.edu with problems.
Read http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/spam.htm for help')dnl
FEATURE(enhdnsbl,`blackhole.compu.net', `t',`Spam blocked see:
http://www.compu.net Contact postmaster@cs.montana.edu with problems. Read
http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/spam.htm for help')dnl
FEATURE(enhdnsbl,`pm0-no-more.compu.net', `t',`Spam blocked see:
http://www.compu.net Contact postmaster@cs.montana.edu with problems. Read
http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/spam.htm for help')dnl
FEATURE(enhdnsbl,`flowgoaway.com', `t',`Spam blocked see: Blocked FLOW
network systems Contact postmaster@cs.montana.edu with problems. Read
http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/spam.htm for help')dnl
FEATURE(enhdnsbl,`spamguard.leadmon.net', `t',`Spam blocked see:
http://www.leadmon.net/spamguard Contact postmaster@cs.montana.edu with
problems. Read http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/spam.htm for help')dnl
FEATURE(enhdnsbl,`blackholes.intersil.net', `t',`Spam blocked see:
http://www.intersil.net Contact postmaster@cs.montana.edu with problems.
Read http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/spam.htm for help')dnl
FEATURE(enhdnsbl,`blackholes.wirehub.net', `t',`Spam blocked see:
http://basic.wirehub.nl/blackholes.html Contact postmaster@cs.montana.edu
with problems. Read http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/spam.htm for help')dnl
FEATURE(enhdnsbl,`dynablock.wirehub.net', `t',`Spam blocked see:
http://basic.wirehub.nl/dynablocker.htm Contact postmaster@cs.montana.edu
with problems. Read http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/spam.htm for help')dnl
FEATURE(enhdnsbl,`dsn.rfc-ignorant.org', `t',`Spam blocked see:
http://www.rfc-ignorant.org Contact postmaster@cs.montana.edu with problems.
Read http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/spam.htm for help')dnl
FEATURE(enhdnsbl,`postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org', `t',`Spam blocked see:
http://www.rfc-ignorant.org Contact postmaster@cs.montana.edu with problems.
Read http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/spam.htm for help')dnl
FEATURE(enhdnsbl,`abuse.rfc-ignorant.org', `t',`Spam blocked see:
FEATURE(enhdnsbl,`in.dnsbl.org', `t',`Spam blocked see: http://www.dnsbl.org