Re: Printer question

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 18:47, Chris Maybury wrote:
> I set up my HP Deskjet 932C printer in the GNOME Menu/System
> Settings/Printer applet.  I made 2 queues using the hpijs driver, one
> for 300 dpi printing and the other for 600. When I go into many
> applications, however, only a Generic Postscript printer is offered as a
> choice.  The 300 dpi setting is set as default.  Is this generic printer
> that's offered the default setting in "Print" or is it something else?
> Is there any way to get these other choices to show in applications such
> as Evolution or OpenOffice Writer?  I'm having a lot of problems
> printing envelopes with the latter which might be cured by using the
> proper driver.  It refuses to print the return address no matter what I
> try.

With most of the apps, you should be able to set the printer queue by
amending the input box with the print command, lpr. To print to a
non-default queue, type lpr -P <queue name> (with no brackets). So if
you've got a second queue named "600dpi", just put "lpr -P 600dpi".

For OpenOffice, run Office -> OpenOffice.org Printer Setup. You can set
the default "Generic Printer" to a non-default queue by selecting
Properties and amending the lpr command as above. You can also add
multiple printers pointing to different queues in the same way.

--
Michael Knepher <limbo@bluethingy.com>